Thursday, October 27, 2011

LayAR

Layers... augmented reality... great ideas, yet they need serious work.

I've been playing with the programs Layar and Hoppala to place images in space in attempt to "augment" reality. My partner and I planned to create a Virtual Zoo, in which we drew zoo animals, brought them into the Hoppala, placed them in certain spots on campus using the Hoppala map, in order to view them from Layar on our smart phones. Didn't work. I still need to play with the programs to find out why it didn't work, but it was very frustrating to see our work go to waste.

Here are a few of our images:





The idea was fun! And if the execution was successful, it would have been great! I hope I can work with Layar and figure out its kinks.

Layar needs some development. After working with Photoshop, and Google Earth, and Sketchup, which have been around for a while and allow users the ability to create intricate projects, Layar seems lame. Even QR codes allow you to do crazy things like tattoo an animation to your chest. Layar is the younger technology. Layar needs to grow. And it will.

No comments:

Post a Comment